R-is a process which enables persons with functional, psychological, developmental, cognitive, and emotional disabilities or impairments or health disabilities to overcome barriers to accessing, maintaining or returning to employment or other purposeful occupation.
Vocational rehabilitation can require input from a range of health care professionals and other non-medical disciplines such as disability employment advisers and career counselors.
Techniques used can include:
- Assessment, program evaluation, and research.
- Goal setting and intervention planning.
- Provision of health advice and promotion, in support of returning to work.
- Support for self-management of health conditions.
- Making adjustments to the medical and psychological impact of a disability.
- Case management, referral, and service co-ordination.
- Occupational therapy interventions.
- Career counseling, job analysis, job development, and placement services.
- Functional and work capacity evaluations